- About Us
- Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine
- Allergy and Immunology
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation and Cellular Therapies
- Child Advocacy
- Emergency Medicine
- Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
- General Academic Pediatrics
- Genetic and Genomic Medicine
- Health Informatics
- Infectious Diseases
- Neurology and Child Development
- Newborn Medicine
- Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine
- Centers & Institutes
- Center for Pediatric Research in Obesity and Metabolism
- Center for Rare Disease Therapy
- Children's Neuroscience Institute
- Cystic Fibrosis Research Center
- Institute for Infection, Inflammation, and Immunity in Children
- Pediatric Asthma Center
- Pediatric Institute for Heart Regeneration and Therapeutics
- Richard King Mellon Foundation Institute for Pediatric Research
- Pittsburgh Vaccine Trials Unit
- The Pittsburgh Study
- Research Administration
- Cores and Research Support
- Information Technology
- Communications Team
- Anti-Racism Statement
- Our Core Principles
- Our Goals
- Community and Culture
- Nondiscrimination Statement
- Continuing Medical Education
- Medical Student Education and Training
- CHP VUE: Vital URiM Experience
- Maintenance of Certification Portfolio Program
- Summer Research Internship
- Faculty Affairs
- Faculty Mentoring
- Leadership Development
- Professional Development and Career Advancement
- Educator Development
- For New Faculty
- Faculty Promotion
- Grant Programs
- Wellness Resources
- Faculty Well-being Task Force
- Thank Yinz
For more than forty years, the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM), formerly known as Diagnostic Referral Services, has upheld the highest standards of patient care and medical education through its practice of pediatric hospital medicine at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
PHM stepped up to meet the demand for dedicated inpatient providers created by the evolving needs of community pediatricians. Its members currently provide care for every child admitted to a primary medical team at Children’s which encompasses nearly one-third of all medical acute care admissions. Throughout its transformation, the PHM division has been a cornerstone of inpatient pediatric medical education for the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Pediatric Residency Program.
The faculty within the division are well-known within Children’s for their ability to facilitate timely evaluation and treatment options across the entire spectrum of pediatric diagnoses, particularly with respect to the care of children with complex medical and social needs.
Dr. Paul C. Gaffney's commitment to outstanding clinical practice, education, and service is the cornerstone upon which the Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine was built.
Education and Training
Students encounter Pediatric Hospital Medicine division faculty throughout their four-year career in medical school.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Action (IDEA) Council
We are committed to the pursuit of an equitable, inclusive, and culturally responsive care environment.
We are the primary provider for general inpatient pediatric services at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Review a list of publications from the Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine.
Contact members of the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine.