Medical Student Education and Training
The Department of Pediatrics offers comprehensive pediatric training for medical students from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Visiting students may apply in their fourth year only.
The medical student education program, housed at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, includes the following curriculum:
- Years 1 and 2
Standard pediatric courses such as:
- Advanced Physical Exam Course (APE)
- Advanced Pediatric Interviewing Mini-Elective (API)
- Clinical Experience 1 and 2 (CE)
- Year 3
Required clerkships such as:
- Inpatient Pediatric Medicine Clerkships (PIMC)
- Combined Ambulatory Medicine and Pediatrics Clerkship (CAMPC)
- Specialty Care Clerkship (SCC)
- Year 4
Electives in a wide range of pediatric subspecialties:
- Infectious Diseases
- Emergency Medicine
- Adolescent Medicine
- Pediatric Research Elective
An Acting Internship (AI) in inpatient pediatrics is also in the curriculum. Senior electives are open to all fourth year medical students, including visiting students.
Pediatric Subspecialty Fellowship Scholarship Toolkit
Get information on our scholarship tracks, finding a mentor, grant opportunities, and more.