A majority of faculty in the Department of Pediatrics are involved in teaching medical students, residents, fellows, faculty and colleagues.
To support this teaching mission, the Office of Faculty Development:
- provides OFD workshops in education to all UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh professional staff (CME available for participants during live sessions)
- provides mini-grants for Education Innovation Projects
- sponsors an OFD Pediatric Medical Education Scholars Program
- brings Educator Development Sessions to individual divisions upon request
- arranges for individual consultation to those interested in conducting education research or quality improvement activities
For further information or questions about OFD Educator Development Activities, please contact Melissa Tavarez, MD, MS, Associate Vice Chair for Faculty Development.
Bianca Loverde, DO
OFD Pediatric Medical Education Scholars Program
The Pediatric Medical Education Scholars Program was established to provide members of the Department of Pediatrics faculty and UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh academic community with the opportunity to develop the skills and obtain the experience necessary to become leaders in medical education scholarship.
Funding of up to $10,000 supports education costs to complete a Certificate in Medical Education Program from the University of Pittsburgh Institute for Clinical Research Education (if not yet earned) and costs to conduct and disseminate outcomes of a mentored medical education research project.
Up to $10,000 of funding will be awarded for tuition, project and dissemination costs.
One to two (2) faculty members will be selected annually.
- Completion of ICRE Certificate of Medical Education Program (15 credits) for those who have not yet earned this Certificate
- Support from an education scholarship mentor committee, including semiannual meetings
- Design, completion and dissemination of a medical education research project
- Development and maintenance of educator portfolio
Application Requirements and Forms
- Completed Medical Education Project Proposal (Project Proposal Form)
- Completed Application ICRE Certificate of Medical Education (ICRE Application Form) or evidence of Certificate Program Completion
- Personal Statement
- Division Director Letter of Nomination
- Primary Mentor Letter of Support
- Application Materials Checklist
Applicants may request a pre-submission review for feedback one month prior to the application due date. Please submit all materials to OFD@pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh
- Office of Medical Education
- The OME Main Page lists various resources for physician educators
- Academy of Master Educators
- Office of the Vice Dean with seminar series with links to archived presentations
- The University Center for Teaching and Learning
- University of Pittsburgh resource for education technology, teaching support, workshops, special initiatives and more with a focus on improving instructional tools and strategies.
- Academic Pediatrics Association Educator Portfolio Template (PDF)
- Created by the APA’s Educational Scholars Program (ESP). Complete reference appears in the template.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Hospital Medicine APEX Teaching Program
- Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
- AMEE promotes international excellence in education in the healthcare professions and has various initiatives and resources that may be of interest.
Some documents on this page require an application to view, download Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word.