Dr. Andrew Buchert joined the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) in 2009 immediately following completion of his pediatric residency at Children’s of Alabama. Since that time, Dr. Buchert has assumed a major role in the oversight and expansion of quality improvement and high-value clinical care endeavors both at the hospital level for Children’s as well as for the entire UPMC Graduate Medical Education program. This administrative experience allows him to approach his clinical work with the PHM Division as a pediatric hospitalist with a systems-based practice perspective. Dr. Buchert serves in the clinician-educator role, supervising medical students and residents as a teaching attending at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on the general pediatrics wards.
Quality Improvement, Education, and Curriculum Development
- Dr. Buchert is the medical director for Clinical Resource Management at UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. In this role, Dr. Buchert oversees the development, implementation, and measurement of clinical pathways for pediatric conditions. He provides direction to identify opportunities for pathways that will have high clinical, quality, and economic impact, that are innovative, and that advance CHP’s mission and priorities.
- Dr. Buchert also leads hospital-level patient safety and QI projects through partnerships with the Industrial Engineering Department at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering and with the Healthcare Policy and Management graduate program in the H. John Heinz III College of Carnegie Mellon University. As an associate medical director of the Wolff Center for Quality, Safety, and Innovation of UPMC, and the co-chair for Patient Safety and Quality Improvement for UPMC Medical Education, Dr. Buchert leads the patient safety and QI educational mission of UPMC Graduate Medical Education, specifically the integration of graduate medical trainees at all UPMC training programs and hospitals into the system-wide patient safety and QI efforts at UPMC, one of the largest GME training programs in the country.
Advisory Committee Appointments
- Medical Director, Education Outreach and Clinical Resource Management, Children’s Hospital
- Chair, Clinical Resource Management Committee, Children’s Hospital
- Hand Hygiene Committee, Children’s Hospital
- Co-chair, Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Committee, UPMC Medical Education
Professional Affiliations/Society Memberships
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Physician Executives
- American Association for Physician Leadership
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, North Carolina State University - 2002
- Doctor of Medicine, University of North Carolina School of Medicine - 2006
- Residency in Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham / Children’s of Alabama - 2009
Dr. Buchert’s publications can be reviewed at the National Library of Medicine’s public database.
“Driving High-Value Care via Clinical Pathways” Invited presentation, 29th Annual National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care, Institute for Healthcare Improvement December 2017
“Using External Benchmarking as a Complement to our Clinical Pathways Selection and Development Process” Invited presentation, 2017 Pediatric Health Information System (PHIS) Spring Meeting March 2017
“Capitalizing on Resident Physicians to Improve Safety Culture” Invited presentation, CHA Quality and Safety Leaders Forum, Spring Meeting March 2017
“Imprinting Safety and Quality Practices on Residents and Fellows” Invited presentation, 2017 ACGME Annual Educational Conference March 2017
“Facilitating Change in the Patient Safety Culture of the Clinical Learning Environment” Invited workshop, 2015 Association for Hospital Medical Education Institute May 2015