Dr. Benjamin Miller joined the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) in 2008 following completion of his pediatric residency at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, including a year spent as chief resident. Since then, he has dedicated himself as a clinician-educator to the care of hospitalized children as well as advancing the field of medical education. Through his efforts, he was named an associate director for Pediatric Residency Program in 2014. Dr. Miller provided his expertise and oversight as president of the medical staff of the Pediatric Specialty Hospital at The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh from 2015 to 2018. He was promoted to associate professor in 2017 and shortly thereafter was named director of clinical services of the PHM Division. Dr. Miller is serving as interim division chief following the retirement of Dr. Basil Zitelli. He continues his clinical practice as a teaching hospitalist on the general pediatric wards at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. Dr. Miller has also been coordinating the care of the children of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ players, coaches, and staff since 2015 as team pediatrician.
Dr. Miller’s academic efforts are focused on medical education research and curriculum development. He is currently the co-chair of the Association of Pediatric Program Directors Grassroots Special Interest Group and provides oversight in selecting programs, presentations, and educational components of the spring APPD national meeting. Dr. Miller developed the ethics curriculum for both medical students and residents rotating at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and was instrumental in the coordination of the PRIME curriculum for pediatric residents at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh who may be interested in medical education as part of their career pathway.
Major Lectureships and Seminars
- “Pediatric Residents Interested in Medical Education (PRIME): Inaugural years and impact,” Abstract platform presentation, APPD Annual Spring Meeting, Anaheim, Calif., April 2017
- “The Diagnosis and Management of the Learner in Difficulty,” Workshop presentation, APPD Annual Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA. April 2016.
- “You Down With Your PD? (Yea, You Know Me!): How to Cultivate a Winning Relationship Between Chief Residents and Program Directors,” Workshop presentation, APPD Annual Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA. April 2016.
Advisory Committee Appointments
- Medical Executive Committee, Children’s Hospital
- Medical Executive Committee, Children’s Home of Pittsburgh and Lemieux Family Center
- Intern Selection Committee, Children’s Hospital
Professional Affiliations/Society Memberships
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Yale University - 1997
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine - 2004
- Residency in Pediatrics, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh - 2007
- Chief Residency, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh - 2007 to 2008