Bianca Marian Pinto, MD, FAAP
- Pediatric Endorionology Fellow
Pinto (she/her/hers) is from Jacksonville, Florida and completed her undergraduate, medical school, and pediatric residency in the Sunshine State. She started fellowship training at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in July 2018. Since starting her pediatric endocrinology fellowship, She has been working under the mentorship of Dr. Selma Witchel to further pursue her career and research interests: improving the quality of life and overall health of gender diverse youth. Her primary research project focuses on the school environment and academic outcomes of gender diverse youth. The first phase of this project involved a review of the gender diverse youth currently followed by endocrinology at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh’s Gender and Sexual Development Program to determine the proportion that are choosing online schools, identify factors that may impact this school choice, and evaluate academic outcomes. Preliminary data from this project will be published by the Pediatric Endocrine Society in a journal supplement of Hormone Research in Paediatrics. She is additionally researching the effects of gender affirming treatment on different aspects of the metabolic and bone health of gender diverse youth.
Professional and Scientific Society Membership
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2015
- Obesity Medical Association, 2017
- Endocrine Society, 2018
- Pediatric Endocrine Society, 2019
- World Professional Association of Transgender Health, 2019
Education & Training
- BS, Biology, University of Miami, 2010
- MD, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, 2015
- Residency in Pediatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine, 2015-2018
- Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2018-Present
Pinto, B., Saner, A., Lukens Bull, K., & Nathawad, R., (2017). Education Gaps in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Plus (LGBTQ+) Health Among Residency Training Programs. The Florida Pediatrician. Volume 36, Issue 4. Fall 2017. Abstract Publication.
Viswanathan P, Pinto B. Tall Stature and Increased Growth Velocity. Endocrine Conditions in Pediatrics: A Practical Clinical Guide. 2020