Chelseá B. Johnson, MD
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellow
Dr. Johnson is a Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellow with board certification in General Pediatrics. She has the honor of caring for neonates at UPMC Magee Women’s Hospital and UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. She is also exploring the heterogeneity of maternal milk immunoglobulin A (IgA) as it relates to protecting premature infants from a devastating disorder known as necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in Dr. Timothy Hand's lab. In particular,her research focuses on how bacteria that are associated with NEC respond to IgA binding and how this might be exploited to prevent this life-threatening disorder. Her goal in medicine is not only to become a skilled clinician in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), but also aspire to become aknowledgeable investigator improving our understanding of maternal milk and NEC.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Medical Student Association, 2011-2015
- Texas Medial Student Association, 2011-2015
- Student National Medical Association, 2012-2015
- American College of Emergency Physicians, 2013-2014
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2014-Present
- Society of Pediatric Research, Junior Section, 2020-Present
Education & Training
- BS, Biology, La Sierra University, 2011
- MD, University of Texas Medical Branch, 2015
- Residency in Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, 2015-2018
- Fellowship in Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 2018-Present
Qasim A., Johnson CB, Aly MA, and Aly AM. Prenatal diagnosis and successful palliation of absent aortic valve with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: a case report and review of literature. AJP Rep. 2019 Apr;9(2)e121-e126. PMID: 30972226.
Koay WLA, Johnson CB, Patel J, and Aigbivbalu LO. A rare case of otomycosis in an immunocompetent child with tympanostomy tubes. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015 Jul;34(7):799. PMID: 26065663
Johnson CB, Quah E, Anuar S, Muin MA, Wood PL, Grismer JL, Greer LF, Kin Onn C, Ahmad N, Bauer AM, and Grismer LL. Phylogeography, geographic variation, and taxonomy of the Bent-toed Gecko Cyrtodactylus quadrivirgatus Taylor, 1962 from Peninsular Malaysia with the description of a new swamp dwelling species. Zootaxa. 2012;3406:39-58.