Debra L. Bogen, MD
- Professor of Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Clinical and Translational Science
Debra L. Bogen is currently the Director of the Allegheny County Health Department.
Bogen was confirmed by the Allegheny County Board of Health at its March 2020 meeting, and was to start her new position May of 2020. However, due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak, Bogen assumed the leadership of the health department two months ahead of schedule.
Bogen maintains the appointment of Professor of Pediatrics through the University of Pittsburgh and is a faculty provider with UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Primary Care Center in Oakland.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow, 1992-Present
- Maryland Chapter, 1992-1998
- Committee on Practice and Management, Maryland, 1997 - 1998
- Member, Safe and Healthy Beginnings Quality Improvement Initiative, 2007 - 2009
- Member, Section on Breastfeeding, 2010-Present
- Member, Subcommittee on Hyperbilirubinemia, 2014-Present
- Pennsylvania Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1998-Present
- Western Pennsylvania Breastfeeding Coordinator, 2002-2012
- Section on Breastfeeding, Education Subcommittee Member, 2002-2008
- Course Director, EPIC:BEST program, 2010-2011, 2013-2017
- Course Director, Keystone 10 Initiative, 2016-Present
- Academic Pediatrics Association, 1996-Present
- APA Region III Co-Chair, 2004 - 2007
- Better Outcomes through Research for Newborns (BORN) Research Committee, 2012-2016
- Academic General Pediatric Accreditation Committee, 2016-Present
- Co-Chair, Fellowship Directors SIG, 2016-Present
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, 1999-Present
- Fellow, 2004-Present
- Member, Board of Directors, 2007-2013
- Chair, Governance Committee, 2009-2014
- Member, Governance Committee, 2009-Present
- Chair, Abstract Review Committee, 2008-2012
- North American Association for the Study of Obesity, 2002-2003
- Society for Pediatric Research, 2006-2008
- Organization of Teratology Information Specialist, 2014-Present
- Member, Research Committee, 2014-Present
Education & Training
- BA, Chemistry, cum laude, Columbia University in the City of New York, 1985
- MD, University of Colorado, 1992
- Internship and Residency in Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1992-1995
- Postdoctoral Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1996-1998
- Certificate of Achievement, Marshall W. Webster Physician Leadership Program, University of Pittsburgh, 2018
Bhutani VK, Maisels MJ, Schutzman DL, Castillo Cuadrado ME, Aby JL, Bogen DL, Christensen RD, Watchko JF, Wong RJ, Stevenson DK. Identification of risk for neonatal haemolysis. Acta Paediatrica 2018 Aug;107(8):1350-1356. doi: 10.1111/apa.14316. Epub 2018 Apr 16.
Ray K, Demirci J, Uscher-Pines L, Bogen DL. Geographic access to IBCLCs in Pennsylvania. Journal of Human Lactation2018;35(1):0890334418768458. PMID:29969344.
Demirci J, Kotzias V, Bogen DL, Ray KN, Uscher-Pines L. Telelactation via mobile app: perspectives of rural mothers, their care providers, and lactation consultants. Telemedicine and e-Health 2019 Sep;25(9):853-858. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2018.0113.
Davis JM, Shenberger J, Terrin N, Breeze JL, Hudak M, Wachman EM, Marro P, Oliveira EL, Harvey-Wilkes K, Czynski A, Engelhardt B, D’Apolito K, Bogen D, Lester B. Comparison of safety and efficacy of methadone vs morphine for treatment of neonatal abstinence syndrome: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatrics 2018;172(8):741-748.
Wisner KL, Sit D, O’Shea K, Bogen DL, Clark CT, Pinheiro E, Yang A, Ciolino JD. Bipolar disorder and psychotropic medication: impact on pregnancy and neonatal outcomes. Journal of Affective Disorders 2019 Jan 15;243:220-225. Epub 2018 Sep 18. PMC6548542
Noguchi L, Hoesley C, Kelly C, Scheckter R, Bunge K, Nel A, Marzinke M, Hendrix C, Dezzutti C, Hillier S, Bogen D, Piper J, Beigi R. Pharmacokinetics of Dapivirine transfer into blood plasma, breast milk, and cervicovaginal fluid of lactating women using the Dapivirine vaginal ring. Antimicro Agents Chemo Feb 2019;(63)3:e01930-18. PMC6395928.
*Engster SA, Bogen DL, Molina B. Adolescent and parent management of controlled prescription medications. Substance Use & Misuse 2019 Jul 29:1-11. (Epub ahead of print)
Newmark RL, Bogen DL, Wisner KL, Isaac M, Ciolino JD, Clark CT. Risk-benefit assessment of infant exposure to lithium through breast milk: a systematic review of the literature. Int Rev Psychiatry 2019 May;31(3):295-304. doi: 10.1080/09540261.2019.1586657.
Whipps M, Miller E, Bogen DL, Mendelsohn AL, Morris PA, Shaw D, Smart Beginnings Team, Cross RS. Breastfeeding behaviors and maternal interaction quality in a low-income, ethnic minority population J Dev Behav Pediatr 2019 Oct 14. doi: 10.1097. (Epub ahead of print)
Kapinos KA, Kotzias V, Bogen DL, Ray KN, Demirci JR, Rigas MA, Uscher-Pines L. Feasibility and effectiveness of telelactation among rural breastfeeding women. Acad Pediatr 2019 Oct 16. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2019.10.008. (Epub ahead of print)
Jarlenski M, Krans E, Donohue JM, Everette J, Kelley D, Joo Yeon K, Stein B, Rothenberger SD, Bogen DL. Five-year outcomes among children with in-utero opioid exposure in Medicaid. Health Affairs (in press).
- Impact of maternal mental health on infant outcomes (growth, behavior and development)
- Maternal medication use and lactation
- Mentoring and faculty development
- Breastfeeding promotion in medically underserved populations
- Improving the delivery of primary care services – focus on the family
- Human milk banking – how to collaborate to advance human milk research