Eleanor Sharp, MD
Eleanor Sharp started her fellowship in Pediatric Hospital Medicine following completion of her residency in pediatrics at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in 2020. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with Highest Honors with degrees in Biology and Psychology from the University of Georgia Honors program in 2013 before completing medical school at the University of Virginia, where she was inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha honor society.
Her interests include transitions of care in critically ill patients, gender equity in academic medicine, and medical education, and she is currently pursuing a Master of Science in Medical Education from the University of Pittsburgh’s Institute for Clinical Research Education. She has published articles on complications of hyperglycemia in pediatric cancer patients, trainee and faculty attitudes on the COVID-19 pandemic, and virtual teaching best practices, in addition to multiple case reports.
Current areas of research include improving transitions of care for critically ill children, characterizing readmissions to the pediatric intensive care unit, enhancing the pediatric resident educational experience on night float rotations, and describing resident and fellow experiences with pregnancy, childcare, and parenting during medical training.
Fellow Biographical Details
- College or Medical School
University of Georgia and University of Virginia
UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Research Project
- STUDY20110403: Prevalence of Medication Dosing Errors in Critically Ill Pediatric Patients
- STUDY21020074: Parent-In-Training: Residents and Fellow Experience from Pregnancy to Parenthood
- STUDY20040076: Pediatric Trainee and Faculty Roles during COVID-19
- STUDY20110216: Unplanned Readmission to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: Prevalence and Associations
- STUDY21030018: Transitions of Care from Pediatric to Adult Healthcare at UPMC
- Project 3089: Critical Care De-Escalation- A Novel Curriculum for Pediatric Residents
- Project 3056: Improving appropriate billing codes for inpatient discharges
- Project 2708: Introduction of a cardiology nighttime curriculum to the pediatric residency program
- Career and Research Interests
Clinician-Educator in Pediatric Hospital Medicine
- Research Project Mentor
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2016-Present
- Section of Hospital Medicine, 2019-Present
- Section on Pediatric Trainees, 2019-Present
- American Medical Association, 2014-Present
Education & Training
- BS, Biology and Psychology, summa cum laude with highest honors, University of Georgia, 2013
- MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine, 2017
- Pediatric Residency, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2017-2020
Charles EJ, Napoli NJ, Johnston LE, Foster CA, Goode DA, Parker TB, Sharp EA, Barnes L, Young JS. Outcomes after Falls Continue to Worsen Despite Trauma and Geriatric Care Advancements. Am Surg. 2018 Mar 1;84(3):392-397. PMID: 29559054.
*McCormick MC, *Sharp EA, Kalpatthi R, Zullo J, Gurtunca N, Zhang J, Krafty R, Raman S. Hyperglycemia requiring insulin during acute lymphoblastic leukemia induction chemotherapy is associated with increased adverse outcomes and healthcare costs. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 Sep;67(9):e28475. doi: 10.1002/pbc.28475. PMID: 32589365; PMCID: PMC7674257. *Contributed equally as first authors.
Norman M, Sharp E, Spagnoletti C, Miller B. Twelve Tips for Medical Education Leadership to Help Faculty in the Transition to Online Teaching. MedEdPublish. 2020;9,(1): 275. doi: 10.15694/mep.2020.000275.1
Sharp EA, Norman MK, Spagnoletti CL, Miller BG. Optimizing Synchronous Online Teaching Sessions: A Guide to the "New Normal" in Medical Education. Acad Pediatr. 2021 Jan-Feb;21(1):11-15. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2020.11.009. PMID: 33207220.
Kazmerski TM, Friehling E, Sharp EA, Muzumdar I, Corbera-Hincapie M, Dewar S, Nowalk A, Srinath A, Muzumdar H. Pediatric Faculty and Trainee Attitudes Toward the COVID-19 Pandemic. Hosp Pediatr. 2021 Feb;11(2):198-207. doi: 10.1542/hpeds.2020-001990. PMID: 33431427.
Academic and Research Interests
- Gender equity
- Transitions of care
- Medical education
- Curriculum development