Elissa Baker Gittes, MD
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Elissa Baker Gittes, MD, received her medical degree from Harvard Medical School and completed a Pediatrics Residency and Adolescent Medicine Fellowship at the University of California San Francisco Medical Center. She joined the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Adolescent Medicine at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in November 2005.
Gittes brings to Adolescent Medicine expertise in medical assessment and management of eating disorders and clinical experience in a wide range of adolescent-specific health care issues such as menstrual disorders, mental health, contraception, acne and routine health & wellness. She is committed to resident and fellow education in this subspecialty. Dr. Gittes is the physician leader for the Adolescent and Young Adult Health Clinic at the Children’s Pine Center satellite center, offering her expertise to complex referral patients from medical professionals and providing services to suburban youth.
Gittes is an advisor in the FAST (Faculty and Students Together) program at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She is a co-leader for a grant funded project on Physician Wellness. She is a participant in the LEAP (Leaders in Education Across Pediatrics) program at Children’s.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- Society of Adolescent Medicine, 1990-Present
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow, 1994-Present
- National Eating Disorders Association, 2002-Present
Education & Training
- BA Human Biology, Brown University, 1979-1983
- MD, Harvard Medical School, 1983-1987
- Internship in Pediatrics, California Pacific Medical Center, 1987-1988
- Second Year Residency, California Pacific Medical Center, 1988-1989
- Third Year Residency, University of California San Francisco Medical Center, 1989-1990
- Fellowship, University of California San Francisco Medical Center, 1990-1992
- Gittes EB, Irwin CE. Sexually transmitted diseases in adolescents. Pediatrics in Review, 1993 May;14(5):180-9.
- Gittes EB. The female athlete triad. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 2004 Oct;17(5):363-5.
- Gittes EB. Eating disorders in adolescents. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 2004 Dec;17(6):417-9.
- Gittes EB, Strickland JL. Contraception in chronically ill adolescents. Adolescent Medicine Clinics of North America, 2005 Oct;16(3):635-44.