Evonne M. Morell, DO
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Director, Inpatient General Pediatric Cardiology, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Director, Quality Improvement for General Cardiology, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Evonne Morell obtained her Doctor of Osteopathy degree from West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine in 2004. Her pediatric residency was completed in 2007 via the Fast Track Program at Michigan State University, followed by a pediatric cardiology fellowship at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh from 2007 to 2010. She served as Chief Pediatric Cardiology fellow in her final year of this fellowship program. She then furthered her training through a 1-year Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care fellowship at Children’s. In 2011, she was appointed as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology.
Morell is board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics in General Pediatrics and Pediatric Cardiology. Her career has focused on acute care cardiology and complex congenital heart diseases including single-ventricle physiology. Since her appointment as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in 2011, Morell has transformed the inpatient general cardiology service at Children’s. She sought advanced training in quality improvement methodology, helped to develop a general cardiology quality improvement program at Children’s, and established herself as a local and national leader in quality improvement.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Heart Association, 2007-Present
- Pennsylvania Chapter of Osteopathic Physicians-District VIII, 2007-Present
- Pediatric Acute Cardiology Care Collaborative, 2015-Present
- Executive Member, Pediatric Acute Cardiology Care Collaborative, 2017-Present
- Committee Member, Quality Improvement Subcommittee of PAC3, 2017-Present
Education & Training
- BS, Biology, University of Tennessee, 1999
- DO, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, 2004
- Internship/Residency in Pediatrics, Michigan State University Sparrow Hospital, 2004-2007
- Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2007-2010
- Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2010-2011
Bates K., Khadr, L., Donohue, J., Crawford, K., Gaies M., Graupe, M., Hanke, S., Hlavacek, A., Madsen, N., Morell, E., Pasquali, S., Russell, J., Schachtner, S., Tanel, R., Ware, A., Kipps, A. Variation in Chest Tube Duration and Length of Stay across Centers in the Pediatric Acute Care Cardiology Collaborative (PAC3) and Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium (PC4). Annals of Cardiology [in press].
Nwankwo, U., Morell, E., Trucco, S., Morell, V., Kreutzer, J. Hybrid Strategy for Neonates With Ductal-Dependent Systemic Circulation at High Risk for Norwood. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2018 Aug;106(2):595-601.
Adam B. Christopher, Sebastian Ochoa, Evonne Krushansky, Richard Francis, Xin Tian, Maliha Zahid, Ricardo Muñoz, and Cecilia W. Lo. The Effects of Temperature and Anesthetic Agents on Ciliary Function in Murine Respiratory Epithelia. Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2014; 2: 111.
Krushansky, E., Burbano N., Moguillansky D., Morell V., Munoz R. Preoperative management of patients with Single Ventricle Physiology. Congenital Heart Disease Epub 2011 Nov 3.
Academic and Research Interests
- Improving single ventricle survival
- Quality improvement projects