Gerald Tariao Montano, DO, MS
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Medical Director, Gender & Sexuality Development Program, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Dr. Montano's training in pediatrics and adolescent medicine has provided him the expertise and skills in long-acting reversible contraception, mental health, eating disorders, and gender-affirming care. His interests include increasing health care access for transgender and gender-diverse youth and advocating for government and systems policies that protect and enhance their health and well being.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2010-Present
- Michigan Osteopathic Association, 2010-2013
- American Osteopathic Association, 2010-2014
- Society of Adolescent Health & Medicine, 2011-Present
- Co-Leader, LGBTQ Special Interest Group
- Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association, 2013-Present
- Ohio Valley Society of Adolescent Health & Medicine, 2013-Present
- Member-at-Large, 2013-2016
- Planning Committee Chair for 2015 Regional Conference, 2014-2016
- Treasurer-Secretary, 2016-Present
Education & Training
- BS, Anthropology-Zoology, University of Michigan, 2003
- DO, Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences, 2010
- Residency in Pediatrics, St. John Children's Hospital, 2010-2013
- Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2013-2016
- MS, Clinical Research, University of Pittsburgh, 2016
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Primary Care Research, University of Pittsburgh, 2014-2016
Montano, GT, Marshal, M. P., McCauley, H. L., Miller, E., Chung, T., & Hipwell, A. E. (2018). Group-based trajectories of parent-child communication and parental knowledge between sexual minority and heterosexual girls and their associations with substance use. Journal of Adolescence. 2018 Dec.
Close, A., Sequeira, G.M., Montano, GT, Alessi, L., McCormick, M.C., Cooper J.D., Epperly, R.A., Zuckerbraun, N.S. Improving the Evaluation and Management of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding in Adolescent Females Presenting for Emergency Care. Journal of Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology. 2019 Apr.
Allen, B.J., Coles, M.S., Montano, GT “A Call to Improve Guidelines for Transgender Health and Wellbeing: Promoting Youth-Centered and Gender-Inclusive Care.” Accepted for publication. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2019 Oct.
Sequeira, G., Kidd, K., Nokali, N.E.E., Rothenberger, S.D., Levine., M. Montano, GT, Rofey, D. “Early Effects of Testosterone Initiation on BMI in Transmasculine Adolescents.” Journal of Adolescent Health, 65(6), 818-820. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2019.06.009
Barnard, E.P., Dhar, C.P., Rothenberg, S.S., Menke, M.N., Witchel, S.F., Montano, GT, Orwig, K.E., Valli-Pulaski, H. “Fertility Preservation Outcomes in Adolescent and Young Adult Feminizing Transgender Patients.” Pediatrics. Aug 2019, e20183943; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3943
Montano GT Arrington-Sanders, R., Coles, M., Dowshen, N., Greenberg, K., Lawlis, S., Meininger, E., Mehringer, J., Olson-Kennedy, J., Telfer, M. “Promoting Health Equality and Non-Discrimination for TGGD Youth.” Journal of Adolescent Health. 66:6, June 2020, 761 - 765
Kidd KM, Hill A, Sequeira GM, McMillan C, Switzer G, Rofey D, Miller E, Montano GT “Development and Psychometric Analysis of the Transgender Family Acceptance to Empowerment (TransFATE) Scale. Journal of Adolescent Health. Accepted for Publication, September 8, 2020
Thoma BC, Eckstrand KL, Montano GT, Rezeppa TL, Marshal MP. Gender Nonconformity and Minority Stress among Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Individuals: A Meta-Analytic Review. Perspectives on Psychological Science. Accepted for Publication
Biernesser C, Montano GT, Miller E, Radovic A. Parent and Child Perspectives Toward Social Media Use and Monitoring for Adolescents with Depression. JMIR Pediatr Parent. In-press. doi: 10.2196/21644.
Coulter RWS, Paglisotti T, Montano GT, Bodnar K, Bersamin M, Russell ST, Hill AV, Mair C, Miller E. Intersectional differences in protective school assets by sexuality, gender, race/ethnicity, and socioeconomic status. J Sch Health. Accepted Nov 25, 2020. In press.
Academic and Research Interests
- Gender-affirming Care