Kelly M. Bailey, MD, PhD
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Administrative Assistant: Carla Clarke
Kelly M. Bailey, MD, PhD is a pediatric oncologist and physician-scientist specializing in pediatric bone sarcomas. Dr. Bailey's research focus is on Ewing sarcoma, a rare bone malignancy in adolescents.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Physician Scientists Association, 2007-2009
- American Association for Cancer Research, 2015-Present
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2010-Present
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 2014-Present
- Children’s Oncology Group (COG), 2014-Present
- COG Ewing Sarcoma Biology Committee, 2016-Present
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society, 2017-Present
- Society for the Immunotherapy of Cancer, 2018-Present
- Pittsburgh Sarcoma Research Collaborative (Founding Member), 2017-Present
- West Virginia University School of Medicine Alumni Association, 2010-Present
- SPR Junior, 2018-Present
Education & Training
- BA, Chemistry, West Virginia University, 2001
- MD, West Virginia University, 2010
- PhD, Cancer Cell Biology, West Virginia University, 2010
- Residency in Pediatrics, Integrated Research Program, University of Michigan, 2010-2013
- Fellowship in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of Michigan, 2013-2016
Bailey KM and Liu J. Caveolin-1 up-regulation during epithelial to mesenchymal transition is mediated by focal adhesion kinase. J Biol Chem. 2008 May 16:283(20):13714-24. Epub 2008 Mar 10.
Shrader CD, Bailey KM, Konat GW, Cilento EV, Reilly FD. Insulin Enhances Proliferation and Viability of Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells. Arch Dermatol Res. 2009 Feb:301(2):159-66. Epub 2008 Dec 30.
Bailey KM, Castle VP, Hummel JM, Piert M, Moyer J, McAllister-Lucas LM. Thalidomide Therapy for Aggressive Histiocytic Lesions in the Pediatric Population. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2012 Aug;34(6):480-3
Pedersen EA, Menon R, Bailey KM, Thomas DG, Van Noord RA, Tran J, Wang H, Q PP, Hoering A, Fearon ER, Chugh R, Lawlor ER. Activation of Wnt/Beta-Catenin in Ewing Sarcoma Cells Antogaonizes EWS/ETS Function and Promotes Phenotypic Transition to More Metastatic Cel States. Cancer Research 2016 Sep 1;76(17):5040-53.
Bailey KM, Airik M, Krook MA, Pedersen EA and Lawlor ER. Micro-Environmental Stress Induces Src-Dependent Activation of Invadopodia and Cell Migration in Ewing Sarcoma. Neoplasia. 2016 Aug 18(8):480-8.
Klei LR, Hu D, Panek R., Alfano DN, Gottesman RE, Bailey KM, Oravecz-Wilson KI, Concel VJ, Hess EM, Van Beek M, Delekta PC, Gu S, Watkins SC, Ting AT, Gough PJ, Foley KP, Bertin J, McAllister-Lucas LM and Lucas PC. MALT1 protease activation triggers acute disruption of endothelial barrier integrity via CYLD cleavage. Cell Reports2016 Sep 27;17(1):221-32
Bailey KM, Durham AB, Zhao L, Fullen D, Geiger J, Bradford C, Opipari V, Johnson T, Mody R. Pediatric melanoma and aggressive Spitz tumors: a retrospective diagnostic, exposure and outcome analysis. Translational Pediatrics July 2018, 7(3):203-210.
Bailey KM and Jacobs MF, Anderson B, Rabah R, Wu YM, Else T and Mody R. DICER1 Mutations in the era of expanding integrative clinical sequencing in pediatric oncology. JCO Precision Oncology, 2019:3, 1-8.
Bailey KM, Julian CM, Klinghoffer AN, Bernard H, Lucas PC and McAllister-Lucas LM. EWS-FLI1 low Ewing sarcoma cells demonstrate decreased susceptibility to T-cell-mediated tumor cell apoptosis. Oncotarget, 2019 May 21;10(36):3385-3399.
Hawkins AG, Julian CM, Konzen S, Lawlor ER, Bailey KM. Microenvironmental factors drive tenascin C and Src cooperation to promote invadopodia formation in Ewing sarcoma. Neoplasia, 2019 Sep 12;21(10):1063-1072.
Academic and Research Interests
- DNA damage and immunogenicity of Ewing tumors
- The Ewing sarcoma tumor microenvironment
- The immune response to pediatric sarcomas
Hyundai Hope on Wheels Young Investigator Award (PI), 2020-2022.
Pittsburgh Sarcoma Research Collaborative (PSaRC) (Co-I), 2018-2020, University of Pittsburgh Chancellor's PittSEED Grant.
NIH K12/CHP Scholar Program (Research Trainee), 2017-2020.
Micro-environmental Regulators of Ewing’s Sarcoma Metastasis (PI), 2016-2019 (NCE), Alex's Lemonade Young Investigator Award, University of Pittsburgh/UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
After String of Rare Cancer Cases, Pennsylvania Investigates Potential Link to Fracking
The Wall Street Journal
December 20, 2019
Are the 27 cases of Ewing sarcoma near Pittsburgh a cluster?
May 14, 2019
Doctor Discusses Rare Cancer
February 13, 2019
Treatment of Pediatric Patients with Sarcoma
August 6, 2018
Clinical Needs in Pediatric Patients with Bone Sarcoma
July 13, 2018