Dr. Kishore Vellody joined the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine in 2005 immediately following completion of his pediatric residency at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin. In 2009, Dr. Vellody became the director of the Down Syndrome Center at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and has led the expansion of the center in providing enhanced diagnostics and care coordination. His clinical expertise and exceptional bedside teaching skills as a pediatric hospitalist led to his induction into the School of Medicine’s Academy of Master Educators in 2012. He practices as a teaching hospitalist on the general pediatric wards at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, at the Children’s Home of Pittsburgh, and in the ambulatory setting through the Down Syndrome Center both at the main campus and several satellite locations.
Dr. Vellody is currently participating in clinical research studies through the Down Syndrome Population Registry, examining the frequency of medical issues in Down syndrome and the optimal management strategies.
Education and Curriculum Development
Dr. Vellody is a course director for the Advanced Pediatric Physical Examination course for first- and second-year medical students.
Major Lectureships and Seminars
- “Medical Issues in Down Syndrome,” Canadian Down Syndrome Society, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May 2017
- “Have a Question? Ask the Doctor!” Canadian Down Syndrome Society, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May 2017
- “Practice Changing Articles in Down Syndrome,” Down Syndrome Medical Interest Group, Orlando, FL, July 2016
- “Medical Issues in Down Syndrome,” National Down Syndrome Congress, Orlando, FL, May 2016
- “Sibling Issues in Down Syndrome,” National Down Syndrome Congress, Orlando, FL, May 2016
- “Have a Question? Ask the Doctor!” National Down Syndrome Congress, Orlando, FL, May 2016
- “Navigating the Complex Health Care System,” ARC of Erie County, The Epilepsy Project, April 2017
- Podcast host, Down Syndrome Center of Western Pennsylvania
- Dear Self, blog about Down Syndrome
Professional Affiliations/Society Memberships
- Academy of Master Educators, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- President, Executive Committee, National Down Syndrome Congress
- Chair, Professional Advisory Council, National Down Syndrome Congress
- Down Syndrome Medical Interest Group
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, University of Illinois - 1998
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Illinois Chicago College of Medicine - 2002
- Residency in Pediatrics, Medical College of Wisconsin / Children's Hospital of Wisconsin - 2005
Dr. Vellody’s publications can be reviewed at the National Library of Medicine’s public database.