Kristina M. Gaietto, MD
- Fellow, PGY-6 and Postdoctoral Scholar
Kristina M. Gaietto, MD, is a Pediatric Pulmonology Fellow at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and a Postdoctoral Scholar at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Gaietto grew up in northwest Ohio and attended Miami University, where she graduated with a BS in Zoology and BA in Political Science, minoring in Middle East and Islamic Studies. She earned her MD from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, then completed her pediatrics residency training at Children's Hospital. She will begin her third year of Pulmonology Fellowship in July 2021.
Gaietto has been selected as a Postdoctoral Scholar in the School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics at the University of Pittsburgh. She is being funded by an NIH T32 grant in the Division of Pulmonology, which sponsors her research on the relationship between violence-related stress and asthma outcomes in Puerto Rican children under the mentorship of Juan C. Celedón, MD, DrPH. This grant also funds Kristina’s studies as she pursues a Multidisciplinary Master of Public Health from the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health.
Fellow Biographical Details
- College or Medical School
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Research Project
- Impact of violence-related stress on lung function in Puerto Rican children
- COVID-19 presentation and outcomes in children with and without asthma
- Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-induced interstitial lung disease in children
- Career and Research Interests
Research track versus clinician educator track in pediatric pulmonology
- Research Project Mentor
- Hobbies and Interests
Cooking, craft beer, European travel and art museums
- Personal Biography
Kristina's husband is a Radiation Oncologist at AHN. They have a rescue dog named Hambone.
- Travel Interests and Languages
I love visiting Europe - thus far I've been to Ireland, Iceland, England, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
- "Likes" about UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
I love my co-workers, patients, and the atmosphere here. It is a wonderful, supportive place to work and learn.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Thoracic Society, 2019-Present
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow, 2016-Present
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2015-Present
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2012-Present
Education & Training
- BA, Zoology & Political Science, Miami University, 2012
- MD, University of Cincinnati, 2016
- Residency in Pediatrics, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2016-2019
Shaffer RC, Pedapati EV, Shic F, Gaietto K, Bowers K, Wink LK, Ericson CA. Brief Report: Diminished Gaze Preference for Dynamic Social Interaction Scenes in Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders. J Autism Dev Disord. Feb 2017; 47 (2): 506-513.
Gaietto KM, Rumschlag SL, Boone MD. Effects of Pesticide Exposure and the Amphibian Chytrid Fungus on Gray Treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis) Metamorphosis. Environ Toxicol Chem. Oct 2014; 33 (10): 2358-62.
Academic and Research Interests
- Pediatric asthma
- Violence-related stress
- Underserved children
T32HL129949, National Institutes of Health, 2020-2022.
Medical Student Scholars Program in Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 2013.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Research Grant, Miami University, 2011.
Stevenson Fund Research Grant, Miami University, 2011.