Laura Joyce West, MD
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Administrative Assistant: Barbara Defusco
Dr. West is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and is a board-certified Allergist/Immunologist at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. She completed her medical school training at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and completed her residency in Pediatrics and Chief Residency at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh followed by her fellowship in Allergy/Immunology.
During her fellowship, Dr. West conducted clinical research on the de novo development of food allergies in children following solid organ transplantation. Now as a junior faculty member, she focuses her academic interests on medical education and mentorship and serves as the Director of the Medical Student and Resident Electives in Allergy/Immunology at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. She also conducts advocacy work with a particular interest in promoting universal statewide newborn screening for Severe Combined Immunodeficiency.
Dr. West is a Pittsburgh native, a die-hard Pittsburgh sports fan, and enjoys spending time outside of work with her husband and son.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Medical Association, 2010–2018
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2014–Present
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors, 2017–2018
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, 2018–Present
- American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, 2018–Present
- Clinical Immunology Society, 2018–Present
- Pennsylvania Allergy and Asthma Association, 2018–Present
- Greater Pittsburgh Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology Society, 2018–Present
Education & Training
- BA, Chemistry, The College of Wooster, 2010
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2014
- Residency in Categorical Pediatrics, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2014-2017
- Chief Resident, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2017-2018
- Fellowship in Allergy/Immunology, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2018-Present
West L, Petrov A, Fajt M. A 72-Year-Old Woman with Periorbital Swelling. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings 2020; 41(1): pe33-e36. PubMed PMID: 31888792.
Edmiston P, West L, et al. Absorption of Gas Phase Organic Compounds by Swellable Organically Modified Silica. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2016; 55: 12068-12079.
West L, Beerman L, Arora G. Ventricular Ectopy in Children Without Known Heart Disease. Journal of Pediatrics 2015; 166 (2): 338-342. PubMed PMID: 25477160.