Luigi R. Garibaldi, MD
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Clinical Director of Pediatric Endocrinology, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Following training in Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrinology at Temple University, University of Michigan and University of Chicago, Dr. Garibaldi established his clinical research interest in puberty and precocious puberty during his tenure at St. Louis University, where he was among the first investigators in the US to develop and validate ultrasensitive FSH and LH assays, which have since changed the laboratory approach to children with disorders of puberty. He has served as the Director of Clinical Services for the Division of Pediatric Endocrinology since December 2005, during which time he oversaw a major increase of outpatient activity for the Division. He maintains an interest in disorders of puberty and collaborates in clinical research protocols on growth and growth hormone, while devoting most of his time to clinical, teaching and administrative activities.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- Endocrine Society, 1987
- Pediatric Endocrine Society (formerly LWPES), 1987
- Society for Pediatric Research, 1993
Education & Training
- BA, Liberal Arts, Liceo Doria, 1967
- MD, University of Genova Medical School, 1973
- Internship in Internal Medicine, University of Genova Hospital, 1973-1974
- Residency in Pediatrics, Gaslini Institute and Children's Hospital, 1975-1978
- Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, 1978-1979
- Instructor in Pediatrics, Gaslini Institute and Children's Hospital, 1979-1981
- Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, 1981-1982
- Postdoctoral Laboratory Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, 1982
- Residency in Pediatrics, University of Michigan Mott Children's Hospital, 1983-1985
- Research Associate/Fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology, Children's Hospital of the University of Chicago, 1985-1987
Tas E, Garibaldi L, Muzumdar R: Glucose homeostasis in the newborn: An endocrinology perspective. Neoreviews 2020; 21(1): e14-e29.
Quackenbush D, Devito J, Garibaldi L, Buryk M. Late presentation of glycogen storage disease types Ia and III in children with short stature and hepatomegaly. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2018 28;31(4):473-478.
Horvat C, Ismail H, Au A, Garibaldi L et Al: Presenting predictors and temporal trends of treatment related outcomes in diabetic ketoacidosis. Pediatr Diabetes 2018;19(5):985-992.
Root JM, Vargas M, Garibaldi LR, Saladino RA: Pediatric Patient With Altered Mental Status and Hypoxemia: Case Report. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2017 Jul;33(7):486-488.
Garibaldi L, Becker D. Is the Risk of Diabetic Ketoacidosis Modifiable? J Pediatr. 2016 ;171:10-2
Tas E, Mahmood B, Garibaldi L, Sperling M: Liver injury may increase the risk of diazoxide toxicity. Eur J Pediatr. 2015 ;174(3):403-6.
Wolfram syndrome: Are we aware of the severe hypoglycemic unawareness? Buryk MA, Krishna KB, Rivera-Vega M, Garibaldi L. Diabetes Research & Clinical Metabolism 2013; 10.7243/2050
Yun YM, Botelho JC, Chandler DW, Katayev A, Roberts WL, Stanczyk FZ, Vesper HW, Nakamoto JM, Garibaldi L, Clarke NJ, Fitzgerald RL. Performance criteria for testosterone measurements based on biological variation in adult males: recommendations from the Partnership for the Accurate Testing of Hormones. Clin Chem. 2012 Dec; 58: 1703-10.
Sathasivam A, Garibaldi L, Shapiro S, Godbold J, Rapaport R: Leuprolide Stimulation Testing for the Evaluation of Early Female Sexual Maturation. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010; 73:375-81
Freedman B , Hughan K, Garibaldi L: Hypoglycemic Seizure. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010 Nov;49(11):1078-80
Data collection study, Novo Nordisk: “National Norditropin Registry. NNR”.
Data collection study, ENDO Pharmaceuticals
Long-acting growth hormone study, Novo-Nordisk.
Long-acting Growth Hormone MOD-4023 in Children with GH Deficiency, OPKO Pharmaceuticals
Subject perception of treatment burden with use of weekly growth hormone (Somatrogon) versus daily growth hormone injections in children with growth hormone deficiency, Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
Measurement of serum copeptin levels in children undergoing GH stimulation tests, Quest Diagnostics/Nichols Institute.