Maia Y. Taft, MD
- Fellow, PGY-6
Maia Taft is originally from Lexington, MA. She received her bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry and Cellular and Molecular Biology from Connecticut College and medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She has completed her Pediatrics Residency and Chief Residency at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and is currently one of the Pediatrics Hospital Medicine fellows at UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Her research focus has been in re-evaluating guidelines for the evaluation of infants less than 60 days with a fever and determining the utility of blood cultures in unvaccinated children. Her future goals include pursuing a career in Pediatric Hospital Medicine and continuing her research in improving guidelines for the evaluation of febrile children.
Fellow Biographical Details
- College or Medical School
Connecticut College, University of Pittsburgh
UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Research Project
The Impact of SES and Race on Evaluation of Febrile Infants
- Career and Research Interests
Quality Improvement, Overlap between Hospital Medicine and ID, Care of Febrile Infants, Medical Education
- Research Project Mentor
- Hobbies and Interests
Playing with my son, Yoga, Skiing, and Hiking
- Personal Biography
I am married to my husband Scott who is a teacher, and we have a 1.5-year-old son, Jack. We also have two cats.
- Travel Interests and Languages
Unfortunately, I am not proficient in any other language besides English, but I love to travel! I enjoyed traveling all over the world (pre-COVID). Looking forward to traveling again soon!
- "Likes" about UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
I love the people of Children's. We truly are a family and I am so thrilled to stay of Fellowship. Support and love are the backbone of the hospital and it is been a pleasure to train here.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2016-Present
- Section of Hospital Medicine, 2019-Present
- Section on Pediatric Trainees, 2019-Present
- American Medical Association, 2014-Present
Education & Training
- BA, Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology, cum laude, Connecticut College, 2013
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2017
- Residency in Pediatrics, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2017-2020
- Chief Resident in Pediatrics, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2020-2021
Dunnick, J., Taft, M., Tisherman, R., Nowalk, A., Hickey, R., Wilson, P.. Association of Bacteremia with Vaccination Status in Children Aged 2 to 36 Months. Journal of Pediatrics. 2021, Jan. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2021.01.005 Pud Status: Published
Dezfulian, C., Taft, M., Corey, C., Hill, G., Krehel, N., Rittenberger, J. C., Guyette, F. X., & Shiva, S.. Biochemical Signaling by Remote Ischemic Conditioning of the Arm versus Thigh: Is One Raise of the Cuff Enough?. Circulation Research. 2016, Aug. Pub Status: Published
Academic and Research Interests
- Febrile infants
- Visiting resident curriculum
- Quality improvement
- Medical education