Maria Ines Clavell, MD
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- Director, G-Tube Program, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Adminstrative Assistant: Teresa L. Trimble
Maria Ines Clavell, MD, is a pediatric gastroenterologist at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC and an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She joined the hospital staff and the medical school faculty in 2000, following two years at the Medical University of South Carolina, where she was as an assistant professor of pediatrics. Dr. Clavell, who was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico, earned a bachelor’s degree in biology from Tulane University. Following graduation, she attended the University of Puerto Rico, School of Medicine, where she earned her medical degree. Dr. Clavell completed a three-year pediatric residency at the Louisiana State University Affiliated Hospitals in New Orleans. She also completed a fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology in the Louisiana State University/Tulane University program. Dr. Clavell’s clinical interests include pediatric nutrition and general gastroenterology. She is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and its subboard in pediatric gastroenterology, and by the American Board of Physician Nutrition Specialists.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN)
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN)
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA)
Education & Training
- BS, Tulane University, 1988
- MD, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, 1992
- Residency in Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Affiliated Hospitals, 1992-1995
- Fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Louisiana State University-Tulane Fellowship Programs, 1995-1998
Clavell M, Barkmeyer B, Martinez B, Craver R, Correa H, Gohd R, Schmidt-Sommerfeld E. Severe hepatitis in a newborn with coxsackievirus B5 infection. Clinical Pediatrics. 1999 Dec; 38(12):739-41.
Clavell M, Correa-Gracian H, Liu Z, Craver R, Brown R, Schmidt-Sommerfeld E, Udall J, Delgado A, Mannick E. Detection of interferon regulatory factor-1 in lamina propria mononuclear cells in Crohn’s disease. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 2000 Jan; 30(1): 43-7.
Woodard J, Bencherif B, Clavell M, Joyce J. Dicyclomine: cause of abnormally decreased gallbladder ejection with sincalide-stimulated hepatobiliary scintigraphy. Clin Nucl Med. 2012 Jan; 37(1): 82-5.