Rhett H. Lieberman, MD, MPH
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- Associate Program Director, Pediatric Residency, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Associate Program Director, Combined Pediatrics/Anesthesia Residency, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Rhett is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Rhett is currently the Associate Program Director of the Pediatric Residency Program (2008), the Associate Program Director of the Combined Pediatrics-Anesthesia Residency Program and the director for the Pediatric Emergency Medicine rotation (2008) at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Rhett received his undergraduate degree at the University of Pittsburgh and his Medical Degree from Temple University. He completed his Pediatric Residency at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in 1999 and his Pediatric Emergency Fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in 2002. Rhett returned to Pittsburgh in 2002 for a faculty position in the Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine and earned his MPH at the University of Pittsburgh School of Public Health in 2004.
Rhett has developed several innovative pieces of curriculum for pediatric residents at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh including high-fidelity simulation based, hands on, multimedia courses teaching the initial assessment and management of both acutely ill and pediatric trauma patients. He is the lead facilitator for procedural competency for the Pediatric Residency Program. He is currently the lead faculty facilitator for the Evidence Based Medicine curriculum and has created resident exercises for practice based learning through reflection and longitudinal care in the Emergency Department. Rhett is an active member of the Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD) and currently holds the position of Chair-Elect for the APPD Associate Program Director Executive Committee.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- Ambulatory Pediatric Association, 1999-2002
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2002-Present
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 2002-Present
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors, 2008-Present
Education & Training
- BS, Biology, University of Pittsburgh, 1992
- MD, Temple University School of Medicine, 1996
- MPH, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, 2004
- Residency in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 1996-1999
- Fellowship in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Children's Hospital Medical Center, 1999-2002
- Teaching Evidence Based Medicine 2001
- APPD LEAD Cohort 2, 2013-2014
Gur, D; Straub, WH; Lieberman, RH; Gennari, RC. "Clinicians' access to diagnostic imaging information at an academic center: Perceived impact on patient management." American Journal of Roentgenology. 1992. 158(4): 893‑6.
Lieberman, RH. Chronic respiratory Diseases – Emergency Department Issues Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine 01/2002; 3(3):191-199
Nowalk, Mary Patricia, G. K. Balasubramani, Mallory Schaffer, Rhett H. Lieberman, Heather Eng, Shakala Kyle, Stephen Wisniewski, Richard K. Zimmerman, and Donald B. Middleton. "Intention to Receive Influenza Vaccine after an Acute Respiratory Illness." American journal of health behavior 39, no. 4 (2015): 573-581.
Desai SH, Jeong K, Kattan JD, Lieberman R, Wisniewski S, Green TD. Anaphylaxis management before and after implementation of guidelines in the pediatric emergency department. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2015 Jul-Aug;3(4):604-606.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2015.01.021. Epub 2015 Mar 7.
Carmen M. Coombs MD MPH, Ryan Shields, Elizabeth A. Hunt, MD MPH PhD, Ying Wei Lum MD, Patrick R. Sosnay MD, Julianne S. Perretta MEd, Rhett H. Lieberman MD, Nicole A. Shilkofski MD Med. Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a Simulation-Based Clinical Correlation Curriculum as an Adjunctive Pedagogy in a Medical Student Anatomy Course. Academic Medicine, Published ahead of print . Sept 2016