Sara C. McIntire, MD, FAAP
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Assistant Advisory Dean, Office of Student Affairs
Sara C. McIntire, MD, FAAP, is a Professor of Pediatrics (non-tenured, Clinician Educator track) who is a member of the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine. She graduated from the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine in 1984. She completed her pediatric internship and residency at the University of Washington, Seattle Children’s Hospital, in 1987 and then served as Chief Resident until 1988. She has practiced as a pediatric hospitalist and consultant pediatrician for complex pediatric patients at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine since 1990. She has a robust record of pediatric medical education for medical students and pediatric residents, curriculum development, and leadership of pediatric medical educators at Pitt. She has served on both departmental and university committees evaluating medical school and residency applicants, shaping education, promoting wellness, and evaluating faculty for promotion. She was elected to the Academy of Master Educators (AME) and is a member of a subcommittee of the AME providing mentorship for junior faculty. Since 2008, she has been an Assistant Advisory Dean in the Pitt School of Medicine medical student longitudinal mentorship program under the Guidance of Associate Dean Joan Harvey, MD. Her current primary scholarly activity is Co-Editorship of the 8th edition of Zitelli and Davis Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- Washington State Society of Pediatrics, 1987–1990
- Sacramento Pediatric Society, 1989–1990
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1992–1995
- Irish and American Pediatric Society, 1992–1995
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2004–Present
Education & Training
- BA, Health Arts and Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, 1977
- MD, University of California, Davis, 1984
- Internship in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital and Medical Center University of Washington, 1984-1985
- Residency in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital and Medical Center University of Washington, 1985-1987
- Assistant Chief Resident, Children's Hospital and Medical Center University of Washington, 1986
- Chief Pediatric Resident, Children's Hospital and Medical Center University of Washington, 1987-1988
McIntire, SC, Green M: Clinical Problem Solving. Arch Peds Adol Med May 2002.
Graff K, Albanese CT, McIntire SC: Extrapulmonary Inflammatory Pseudotumor in Children. Pediatr Surg Intern 1995;10:155-158.
McIntire SC, Rubenstein R, Gartner J, Gilboa N, Ellis D: Acute flank pain and reversible renal dysfunction associated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use. Pediatrics 1993;92:459-460.
Gilboa N, McIntire SC, Hopp L, Ellis D: Acute noncrescentic post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis presenting with pulmonary hemorrhage. Pediatr Nephrol 1993;7:147-150.
Parish RA, McIntire SC, Heimbach DM: Garlic burns: A naturopathic remedy gone awry. Pediatr Emerg Care 1987;3(4):258-260.