A member of the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine since 1990, Dr. Sara McIntire has dedicated her career as a clinician-educator to the care of hospitalized children and the advancement of medical education. Her clinical expertise and exceptional bedside teaching skills as a pediatric hospitalist led to her induction into the School of Medicine’s Academy of Master Educators in 2006. Dr. McIntire has played an integral role in the formation of the inpatient pediatric curriculum for medical students throughout her time with the Diagnostic Service. With her appointment to advisory dean in 2008, Dr. McIntire has continued her commitment to the success and well-being of medical students. She practices as a teaching hospitalist on the general pediatric wards at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and at The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh.
Dr. McIntire served as director of the Pediatric Inpatient Medicine Clerkship (PIMC) from 1996 to 2006 and led the Pediatric Medical Education Program from 2000 to 2010. She currently holds an appointment as one of seven advisory deans for the School of Medicine, providing formal guidance to over ninety medical students.
Hospital Advisory Committee Appointments
- Medical Executive Committee, Children’s Hospital
- Co-director, Three Rivers Pediatric Update
- Faculty Wellness Committee, Children’s Hospital
- Medical Staff Campaign, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Health Arts and Sciences, University of California, Berkeley - 1977
- Doctor of Medicine, University of California, Davis School of Medicine - 1984
- Residency in Pediatrics, University of Washington / Seattle Children’s Hospital - 1987
- Chief Residency in Pediatrics, University of Washington / Seattle Children’s Hospital - 1988