Major Lectureships and Seminars
- Pedimag National Training Conference, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. June 2017.
Professional Affiliations/Society Memberships
- International Pediatric Transplant Association
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Variation Working Group, 2017 to present
- American Society of Transplantation
- Patient Transition Committee, 2015 to present
Education & Training
- MD: Medical College of Georgia Augusta, GA
- Residency: Georgia Health Sciences University Augusta, GA
- Fellowship: University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA
Shawn West’s research interests include cardiac transplantation in children following single-ventricle physiology, cardiomyopathies, acute rejection following heart transplantation, and noninvasive measurements of systolic and diastolic function in children with structural congenital heart disease. West explores outcomes-based research in children with congenital heart disease and heart transplantation, cost analysis of heart transplant, quality improvement in care of single-ventricle patients through third-stage palliation, assessment of myocardial deformation using velocity vector imaging/speckle tracking, and outcomes of fetal cardiomyopathies. His current research projects include the following.
- CTOT, CTOT-09 (Site Subinvestigator)
- PHTS (Site Sub-investigator)
- Heart Transplant EBV Study (Site Subinvestigator)
- Pediatric Cardiomyopathy Registry Biomarker Study (Site Subinvestigator)
- Use of Advanced Cardiac Therapies for Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Open-label study for Sanfilippo type B for SBC-103
- Left heart decompression and outcome in patients on veno-arterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) support
- Midterm analysis of the bicuspid polytetrafluoroethylene conduit (Masa valve) for right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction in neonates and infants
- Inert Gas Rebreathing for Predicting Disease Status in Subjects with Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pediatric Heart Failure Observational Study Group. This is a multicenter registry study through the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, pediatric acute myocarditis in a contemporary multicenter cohort.
- Fontan-related Protein-losing Enteropathy and Transplant Observational Study. This is a multicenter registry study analyzing patients referred for heart transplant evaluation for Fontan-related protein-losing enteropathy.