Dr. Stephanie Dewar joined the Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospitalist Medicine following several years as a pediatric hospitalist and director of the division of hospital pediatrics at Tod’s Children’s Hospital in Youngstown, Ohio (now a clinical campus of Akron Children’s Hospital). A dedicated clinician-educator, Dr. Dewar led the residency programs in pediatrics and internal medicine-pediatrics at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine before she came to the University of Pittsburgh, where she now serves as co-director for the categorical pediatric program. Her teaching skills at the medical school were recognized with the William I Cohen Award for Clinical Instruction in 2012 and her clinical expertise and exceptional bedside teaching skills as a pediatric hospitalist led to her induction into the School of Medicine’s Academy of Master Educators in 2015. She practices as a teaching hospitalist on the general pediatric wards at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh as well as The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh. Dr. Dewar was named as vice-chair of Clinical Affairs for Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh in 2016.
Dr. Dewar’s academic efforts are focused on graduate medical education. She is co-program director for the pediatric residency program. Dr. Dewar facilitates the residency program’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee. She provides teaching to medical students in the skills of medical interviewing, physical examination and clinical bedside care. She is a member of the Pediatric Review Committee at the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and serves as a pediatric consultant to the UPMC Kazakhstan Residency Project with Nazarbayev University and University Medical Center in Astana, Kazakhstan.
Major Lectureships and Seminars
- “Faculty Development and Engagement.” Invited Lecture, Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology: Educating the Educators. San Diego, Calif., January 2017
- “Tense Tummies in Kids,” 44nd Refresher Course in Family Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pa., March 2017
- “Promoting Diversity in the Pipeline of Physicians: Recruiting and Mentoring of Under-Represented Minority Physicians,” APPD, 2017 Annual Meeting. Anaheim, Calif., April 2017
- “Teaching Residents to Mitigate Prejudice (TRMP): Role Play with Simulated Parents to Address Prejudice in the Workplace,” Workshop, APPD 2017 Annual Spring Meeting, Anaheim, Calif., April 2017
Professional Affiliations/Society Memberships
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors
- Academy of Master Educators, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Education & Training
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine - 1986
- Residency in Pediatrics, Jacksonville Health Education Program - 1989
- Chief Residency, Jacksonville Health Education Program - 1990
- APPD Leadership in Educational Academic Development 2012-2013
- Physician Leadership Program , University of Pittsburgh Katz School of Business and UPMC 2014
Dr. Dewar’s publications can be reviewed at the National Library of Medicine’s public database.