Tahniat Sultana Syed, MD, MPH
- Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Syed is an Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Clinical Director for the Center for Adolescent and Young Adult Health. She went to the University of Pittsburgh for undergraduate, Medical College of Pennsylvania, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children for pediatrics residency and UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh for an Academic fellowship and an Adolescent Medicine fellowship. She has been an attending physician for 18 years. Her clinical expertise includes adolescents with menstrual disorders, mental health conditions, and those needing reproductive health care. She is actively involved in teaching medical students, residents and fellows.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Medical Women's Association, 1993-1996
- Pennsylvania Medical Society, 1993-1996
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 1996-2000, 2008-2013, 2020-Present
- American Cancer Society, Planning Committee Member, 2000
- American Lung Association, Leadership Council Member, 2000
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 2000-2003
- Ambulatory Pediatric Association, 1999-2010
- Society for Adolescent Medicine, 2002-2012
- Society for Adolescent Medicine, Mid-Atlantic Regional Chapter Treasurer, 2004-2008
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, 2010
- Ontario Medical Association, 2010-2012
Education & Training
- BS, Biology, University of Pittsburgh, 1992
- MD, Medical College of Pennsylvania, 1996
- Residency in Pediatrics, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, 1996-1999
- Fellowship in General Academic Pediatrics, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 1999-2001
- Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2001-2002
- MPH, University of Pittsburgh, 2002
Raikow RJ, Bledsoe AH, Syed T, Glasgow AG. Intraspecific variation in the hindlimb muscles of the Ivorybilled woodcreeper and the Blue Jay, with a review of other species. Condor 1993;95(3):497-506.
Levy SA, Westin AM, Reamy AM, Reyner JC, Syed TS, Diamond GS. Communication about smoking between depressed adolescents and their parents. Nicotine Tob Res 12(3):191-7. 2010
Kirkpatrick L; Wiener S; Bell L; Szoko N; Collins A; Russell M; Harrison E; Weiss M; Syed T. (under review). A curriculum for pediatric residents in pregnancy options counseling: a pilot program. Submitted to Academic Pediatrics in May 2020.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Office of Faculty Development Education Innovation Grant, 2020.