- About Us
- Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine
- Allergy and Immunology
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation and Cellular Therapies
- Child Advocacy
- Emergency Medicine
- Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
- General Academic Pediatrics
- Genetic and Genomic Medicine
- Health Informatics
- Infectious Diseases
- Neurology and Child Development
- Newborn Medicine
- Paul C. Gaffney Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine
- Centers & Institutes
- Center for Pediatric Research in Obesity and Metabolism
- Center for Rare Disease Therapy
- Children's Neuroscience Institute
- Cystic Fibrosis Research Center
- Institute for Infection, Inflammation, and Immunity in Children
- Pediatric Asthma Center
- Pediatric Institute for Heart Regeneration and Therapeutics
- Richard King Mellon Foundation Institute for Pediatric Research
- Pittsburgh Vaccine Trials Unit
- The Pittsburgh Study
- Research Administration
- Cores and Research Support
- Information Technology
- Communications Team
- Anti-Racism Statement
- Our Core Principles
- Our Goals
- Community and Culture
- Nondiscrimination Statement
- Continuing Medical Education
- Medical Student Education and Training
- CHP VUE: Vital URiM Experience
- Maintenance of Certification Portfolio Program
- Summer Research Internship
- Faculty Affairs
- Faculty Mentoring
- Leadership Development
- Professional Development and Career Advancement
- Educator Development
- For New Faculty
- Faculty Promotion
- Grant Programs
- Wellness Resources
- Faculty Well-being Task Force
- Thank Yinz
Traci M. Kazmerski, MD, MS
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Traci M. Kazmerski, MD, MS is an Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in the Department of Pediatrics and Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine. She is a pediatric pulmonologist and health services researcher at UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. Her research centers on the improvement of comprehensive health care for adolescents and young adults with pediatric-onset chronic disease. As a core member of the CFF TDN Women’s Health Research Working Group, her current projects focus on improving the sexual and reproductive health care of people with cystic fibrosis.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Thoracic Society, 2014-Present
- Society for Pediatric Research Junior Member, 2014-Present
- Massachusetts Medical Society, 2016-2018
- Academy of Communication in Healthcare, 2017-Present
- Pennsylvania Medical Society, Allegheny County, 2018-Present
- Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, 2019-Present
Education & Training
- BS, Science Pre-Professional, magna cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 2006
- MD, University of Pittsburgh, 2010
- MS, Clinical Research, University of Pittsburgh, 2016
- Internship/Residency in General Pediatrics, Community-Oriented Research Education (CORE) Track, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2010-2013
- Fellowship in Pediatric Pulmonology, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, 2013-2016
- Research Fellowship in Pediatric Pulmonology, Boston Children's Hospital, 2016-2018
- Fellowship, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2016-2018
Freeman, M.C.*, Gaietto, K.*, DiCicco, L.A., Rauenswinter, S., Squire, J.R., Aldewereld, Z., Rapsinski, G., Iagnemma, J., Campfield, B.T., Wolfson, D., Forno, E.**, and T.M. Kazmerski**. “A comprehensive clinical description of pediatric SARS-CoV-2 infection in western Pennsylvania.” MedRxiv, 2020, Dec 20. doi: 10.1101/2020.12.14.20248192. PMID: 33354687. PMCID: PMC7755149.
Khan, F., Tangpricha, V., Hughan, K., Jain, R., Ladores, S.L., Taylor-Cousar, J., West, N.E., Montemayor, K., Sawicki, G.S., Uluer, A., Aitken, M.L., Shnorhavorian, M, Bray, L.A., Kvam, C., Stalvey, M., and T.M. Kazmerski. “Men’s health in the modern era of cystic fibrosis.” Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, 2020 Dec 26; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2020.12.013 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 33376059.
Thayer, E.K., Pam, M., Godfrey, E.M., Mentch, L., Brown, G., Kazmerski, T.M., and M. Al Achkar. “Best practices for virtual patient-centered outcomes research team engagement during the era of COVID-19 and beyond.” J Particip Med. 2021 Mar 11;13(1):e24966. doi: 10.2196/24966. PubMed PMID: 33646964; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7954110.
Godfrey, E.M., Kazmerski, T.M., Brown, G., Mentch, L., Pam, M., and M. Al Achkar. “Educational needs and preferences for patient-centered outcomes research in the cystic fibrosis community: a mixed-methods study.” JMIR Form Res. 2021 Mar 4;5(3):e24302. doi: 10.2196/24302. PubMed PMID: 33661127; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7974760.
Kirkpatrick, L.*, Michel, H.K., Close, A., Collins, A., Miller, E., and T.M. Kazmerski. “Subspecialists’ reproductive health attitudes and practices for young women prescribed teratogens.” Journal of Pediatrics. 2021 Feb 2;. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2021.01.066. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 33545192.
George, C., Raymond, K., Collins, L., Afrey, Z., and T.M. Kazmerski. “Partnership Enhancement Program: Piloting a communication training program for cystic fibrosis care teams”. Journal of Patient Experience, 2021 Apr 28. doi: 10.1177/23743735211014049. [Epub ahead of print]
March, C.A.*, Kazmerski, T.M., Moon, C., Libman, I.M., and E. Miller. “Evaluating the impact of stakeholder engagement in a school-based type 1 diabetes study.” Accepted to Diabetes Spectrum, April 15, 2021.
Kirkpatrick, L.*, Harrison, E.*, Van Cott, A., Miller, E., Sogawa, Y., and T.M. Kazmerski. “A survey of child neurologists about reproductive healthcare for adolescent women with epilepsy.” Accepted to Epilepsy & Behavior, April 15, 2021.
Jain, R., Kazmerski, T.M., Aitken, M., West, N.E., Wilson, A., Bozkanat, K., Montemayor, K., Von Berg, K., Sjoberg, J., Poranski, M., and J.L. Taylor-Cousar. “Challenges faced by women with cystic fibrosis.” Accepted to Clinics in Chest Medicine April 19, 2021.
Leroy-Melamed, M.*, Jacob, S., Shew, M., and T.M. Kazmerski. “Provider views on sexual and reproductive health for adolescent and young adult women with sickle cell disease.” Accepted to the Journal of Adolescent Health, May 24, 2021.
Academic and Research Interests
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Reproductive Health
- Health Services Research
- Reproductive Goals
A Tailored Computerized Sexual and Reproductive Health Intervention for CF (Kazmerski)-KAZMER18A0-Q (PI, 65% effort), 2018-2021, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-Harry Shwachman CF Clinical Investigator Award, $390,000.
Sexual and Reproductive Health in Adult Women with Cystic Fibrosis (Kazmerski)- KAZMER18A0 (PI, 10% effort), 2018-2020, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-Clinical Research Award, $289,952.
Loan Repayment Program Renewal (Kazmerski) (PI), 2019-2021, National Institutes of Health-NHLBI.
Women’s Health Research Working Group (Kazmerski)-KAZMER19Y3 (PI, 7.5% effort), 2019-2021, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, $23,990.
Evaluation of Predictors of Maternal-fetal Outcomes in Cystic Fibrosis (Jain/Taylor-Cousar)-JAIN19A0 (Co-I, 3% effort), 2019-2022, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Clinical Research Award, $849,988.
Assessment of Contraceptive Safety and Effectiveness in Cystic Fibrosis (Godrey/Aitken)- GODFRE19A0 (Co-I, 3% effort), 2019-2022, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Clinical Research Award, $1,114, 558.
The Parenting Experiences of Men and Women with Cystic Fibrosis (Kazmerski)-KAZMER20A0 (PI, 10% effort), 2020-2022, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Clinical Pilot and Feasibility Award, $179,170.
Sexual and Reproductive Health of Young Women with Pediatric-Onset Chronic Disease (Kazmerski) (PI), 2020-2021,
Private Donation, Children’s Hospital Foundation, $13,000.
Urinary Incontinence in Women with Cystic Fibrosis (Bradley) (Co-I, 5%), 2020-2022, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Clinical Pilot and Feasibility Award, $171,588.
Parenthood and Cystic Fibrosis Planning Grant (Kazmerski)- KAZMER21A0-LAD (PI, 12.5% effort), 2021, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Planning Grant, $89,507.