Research is an organized method for keeping you reasonably dissatisfied with what you have.
— Charles F. Kettering
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is committed to the highest standard of health and medical care attainable. To that end, research is a vital part of our mission, to discover new treatments and strategies to improve the health conditions in infants, children and adolescents. The efforts of our faculty, staff and students are dedicated to finding answers that will lead to cures for the many diseases that our youth are faced with today including asthma, genetic disorders, cancer, heart disease, neurological conditions, obesity, and diabetes. In service to our community, we actively collaborate with researchers across the Pittsburgh area and beyond in pursuits of laboratory, translational and clinical investigation.
Our research mission is supported by approximately $65 million in federal, state, industry, and other funding (FY2018). The Research Administration team is responsible for financial oversight of all academic staffing, funding and reporting for pediatric research and education. Administration of research funding within the department is unique compared to other departments within the School of Medicine as it encompasses responsibility across the Pediatric Service Line. This includes research funding through the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC, as well as support provided by UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation. The administrative staff work closely with academic, hospital and
foundation entities across the CHP campuses in Lawrenceville and Oakland to support our ever-growing program.
In Research Administration, each member of our experienced and highly-motivated team is responsible for the day-to-day operations associated with their respective responsibilities, including the following:
- Pre-award grant and budget preparation, including clinical trial budget negotiation
- Grant and contract compliance – review and submission
- Training and education compliance
- Post-award and departmental finance monitoring
- Effort reporting and audit responses
- Faculty COI oversight and consulting agreement review
- Data management and reporting
- Research building management and access (John G. Rangos Research Center)
- Student training programs
- Internal competitive funding programs (including the Research Advisory Committee and the Children’s Trust)
- Clinical trial initiation meetings
- Clinical trial data tracking and invoicing
- Billing compliance
- Human Resource management, including conflict resolution
- Information technology: this service, previously provided by UPMC Children’s Hospital, is currently being developed within the Department