The University of Pittsburgh Animal Gnotobiotic Core facility allows investigators to conduct experiments requiring germ-free (lack all culturable micro-organisms, no bacteria, archaebacteria or fungi) and gnotobiotic mice. The facility is certified as BSL2 and breeds and provides C57BL/6, Balb/c, and Rag1-/- on a C57BL6 background.
- Able to associate with any mouse consortia, except BSL3/4 animals
- Able to use BSL2 pathogens
- Able treat with drugs, biologics, and adoptive transfer of cells from other mice.
- Can carry out all procedures or facilitate investigator's experiment
- Small isolators 4-5 cages
- Large isolators 15+ cages
- The cost to the investigator to ‘change-over’ an isolator = $250
- Minimum $500/experiment
Static caging price ($100/cage/week) (cannot guarantee sterility)
How to get access
Please submit a concise but detailed description explaining the experiment at least 30 days in advance to the Center for Medicine & the Microbiome contact page.