2023 SUMMER RESEARCH INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (SRIP) APPLICATION
Each summer, the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh hosts an eight-week, paid program designed for undergraduate students from any college or university who wish to learn the rationale, design strategies, methods, and other aspects of biomedical research by engaging in studies under the direct supervision of experienced researchers. There are currently 8 subject-specific programs within SRIP with basic science and clinical research opportunities throughout the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC campuses.
To apply for the 2023 Summer Research Internship Program (SRIP), application materials must be sent electronically using this form.
The summer 2023 program will run from Monday, June 5, 2023 through Friday, July 28, 2023. Students will devote 40 hours a week on their respective research projects. At the conclusion of the program, students will present their research to their fellow SRIP peers, faculty mentors and the research community. This research symposium is the culminating event and takes places during the last week of the program and is mandatory for all participants.
Applications must be completed by December 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
- U.S. citizen or a permanent resident (green card holder)
- Must be enrolled as a student in a degree-granting program at a college/university
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must have completed two semesters of undergraduate education by the start date of the program
- Have at least one semester of undergraduate education remaining after completing the CHP program
- Selected participants must be available for the entire program June 5-July 28, 2023. If you cannot participate for the entire program, you will not be considered for acceptance.
- If accepted into this program, all participants must complete employment background checks prior to the start date of the program. Failure to do so will result in ineligibility and dismissal from the program. (NOTE: Once accepted, participants will be contacted individually, and these clearances will be arranged with you. Please do not proceed with any background checks, this is NOT needed for the application process.)
- If accepted into this program, all participants must apply for the following clearances:
- oAct 31: Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting
- oAct 33: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History
- oAct 34: Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History
- oAct 73: FBI Criminal History Record
Required Application Materials
Applicants must complete this form in one sitting. Incomplete forms cannot be saved for retrieval. It is required to have the statement of purpose, resume, and college transcript ready to upload before proceeding.
- This online application form
- Statement of Purpose - Essay crafted to convey your academic and career goals with an emphasis on your current research interest and how this program will help you reach your future academic goals. Please limit to one page single spaced. Please upload as a PDF into the application using the following format for the file name: "LastName_FirstName_Statement.pdf" (ex. "Smith_Jane_Statement.pdf).
- Resume - Please limit to one page and upload as a PDF into the application using the following format for the file name: "LastName_FirstName_Resume.pdf" (ex. "Smith_Jane_Resume.pdf).
- College transcript (unofficial version is acceptable). Please upload as a PDF into the application using the following format for the file name: "LastName_FirstName_Transcript.pdf" (ex. "Smith_Jane_Transcript.pdf).
**Letters of recommendation will not be accepted or considered in the application review process. Incomplete applications will not be considered as well.
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.