Mark G. DeBrunner, MD
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- Director, Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship Program, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
DeBrunner has served as a clinician educator with primary career focuses of educational leadership, teaching and mentorship, and clinical program leadership and excellence in clinical care. He has served as the director of the Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship Program since 2012. As a clinician within the Heart Institute, DeBrunner has spent his time supporting outpatient cardiology clinics, the inpatient general Cardiology service and the echocardiography laboratory. He has a special interest in fetal echocardiography.
DeBrunner maintains a strong interest in neurodevelopmental outcomes in patients with congenital heart disease and social determinants of health. His current research involves examining the incidence and impact of food insecurity and adverse childhood experiences on patients with congenital heart disease.
Professional and Scientific Society Memberships
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2004-Present
- Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society, 2014-Present
- Society of Pediatric Cardiology Training Program Directors, 2014-Present
- Fetal Heart Society, 2017-Present
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, 2018-Present
- National Pediatric Cardiology Study Group, 2019-Present
Education & Training
- BS, Natural Sciences, Xavier University, 2000
- MD, Wright State University, 2004
- Internship in Pediatrics, Nationwide Children's Hospital, 2004-2005
- Residency in Pediatrics, Nationwide Children's Hospital, 2005-2007
- Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology, Riley Hospital for Children, 2007-2010
Panigrahy A, Lee V, Ceschin R, Zuccoli G, Beluk N, Khalifa O, Votava-Smith JK, DeBrunner M, Munoz R, Domnina Y, Morell V, Wearden P, Sanchez De Toledo J, Devine W, Zahid M, Lo CW. Brain Dysplasia Associated With Ciliary Dysfunction in Infants With Congenital Heart Disease. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2016. Aug 26. pii: S0022-3476 (16) 30643-6.PMID-2757499
Callahan R, Kreutzer J, DeBrunner M. Transcatheter Management of Midaortic Syndrome Secondary to Myofibroma Presenting in Infancy with Severe Left Ventricular Dysfunction.Cardiology in the Young. 2015. Oct 8: 1-3. PMID-26448630
Flanagan R, Cain N, Tatum G, DeBrunner MG, Drant S, Feingold B. Left Ventricular Myocardial Performance Index Change for Detection of Acute Cellular Rejection in Pediatric Heart Transplantation. Pediatric Transplantation. 2013. Dec; 17(8):782-6. PMID-24118848.
DeBrunner MG, Porayette P, Breinholt JP, Turrentine MW, Cordes TM. Intermediate Survival of Infants Requiring Post-operative Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Following Norwood Palliation. Pediatric Cardiology. 2013; 34(3): 570-575. PMID – 23007923.
Sanchez-Mejia A, DeBrunner MG, Cox E, Caldwell R. Acquired Toxoplasmosis After Orthotopic Heart Transplantation in a Sulfonamide-Allergic Patient. Pediatric Cardiology. 2010; 32(1): 91-93. PMID – 20936468.